Call Project Shop
Tell us about your restoration project
Professional suspension set up will transform the way your classic car handles. Almost every vehicle we see through our workshop would benefit from detailed geometry set-up.
The phrase ‘no used car is a virgin’ is never more apt than when you talk about the geometry of a cars steering and suspension components. Even with a brand new car, you can adversely effect the way it handles simply by hitting a pot hole hard. On a classic car the list of reasons why the wheels might not all be pointing in the same direction is long and varied! Generally…
- Have suspension arms, steering components or bushes replaced?
- Has the car been ‘Polybushed’? They do not deform in the same way as rubber bushes and can effect the geometery
- It may have had chassis repair which is not 100% in the same place as it once was
- Does it have different spec shock absorbers and springs lowering the ride height?
- The body/chassis might be slightly kinked from an impact?
- It might have wider wheel/tyre combination?
- Simply the suspension might require new components to bring it back to spec
One of the issues with suspension geometry is that the owner rarely notices the problem. It generally happens gradually and doesn’t overly spoil your enjoyment in the way a burst water hose would! Poor suspension set up is best seen in the following ways:
- Uneven tyre ware – difficult to pick up if the car only does a few hundred miles a year
- Steering wheel off centre
- Pulling to one side of the road, especially under braking
- Knocks and rattles from damaged components
Project Shop engineers are well-versed in suspension and steering dynamics. They can diagnose component issues, renew the parts where necessary and then set them up correctly to give your classic car that ‘as-new’ feeling. You can be sure in the knowledge that your cars suspension is as good as it can be.
We can also upgraded and/or lower suspension, dialling in the correct camber, castor and toe angles to optimise how the car handles. It doesn’t matter what type your classic has, Project Shop can set up:
- Mcpherson struts
- Leaf springs
- Coil springs
- Citroen Rolls Royce and Bentley Hydropneumatic
- British Leyland Hydrolastic and Hydrogas systems