Annual Servicing – Why service your classic car?
If, like us, you want your classic to run reliably and protect your investment then an annual service is paramount. We have become so used to covering 20,000 miles in our modern vehicle before we even think of an oil change, we forget that a few years ago service intervals were as frequent as 3,000 miles or six months.
It is also a fact that cars manufactured before 1990 require servicing, whereas modern vehicles simply require an oil change and worn out components replacing. Every vehicle in classic use will benefit from a professional annual service.
Manufacturers Service Schedules from years ago are no longer fit for purpose as they were developed in anticipation of the cars being used on a daily basis. Today statistics reveal that the average classic car is used thirty-two days a year and ironically, long periods of inactivity put a greater strain on a car’s components than when it is used regularly.
With so many different cars a ‘one size fits all’ schedule is almost impossible, but with minor adjustments for fuel injection, electronic ignition, and air-cooled vehicles it is possible to make a comprehensive list of work which should be carried out every year.
With experience gained maintaining over a thousand different vehicles, the Project Shop has developed the following Service Schedule for vehicles in classic use. We also have specific knowledge on almost every classic vehicle in the UK, so we can adjust the list for a specific make or model.
Project Shop’s Ultimate Annual Service
- Lights check and replace any blown bulbs
- Add Wynns Engine Flush, run engine to temperature, make sure cooling fans cut in, then switch off
- Wheels off, check tyres for condition, age, tread wear, pressures, & spare tyre
- Check hubs/splines for wear and condition
- Check wheel condition, plus wheel spokes (where wire wheels are fitted)
- Drain hot engine oil
- Check/clean/replace oil breather
- Inspect brakes for friction material, leaks, and function
- Grease all driveshaft joints, hubs and ball joints front and rear
- Inspect metal brake pipes and flexible pipes for condition/corrosion
- Check/adjust handbrake as necessary
- Under body corrosion inspection
- Exhaust system inspection, general condition and mounts
- Check gearbox oil for condition and level
- Check differential oil for condition and level
- Top up carburettor dash pots (if required)
- Check/replace inline fuel filter
- Check/adjust idle/fuel mixture/balance carburettors
- Check/clean/replace air filter(s)
- Check/change spark plugs
- Check condition/gap of points/condenser/rotor arm/cap and HT leads
- Check/adjust engine timing
- Check drive belt condition and tension
- Inspect coolant pipes & gland hole vent hole under water pump for leakage
- Inspect core plugs for leakage
- Check coolant strength and top up/replace
- Check brake/clutch fluid for level and condition
- Replenish windscreen washer fluid, check operation of screen wash jets
- Inspect wiper blade condition and check operation
- Grease door catches and linkages
- Renew oil filter & sump washer, replace sump plug (if required) & replenish engine oil
- Engine start, check for leakage
- Road test, check heater and fan operation, re-torque wheels, re-check engine oil level
- Independent MOT or Classic Car safety check to make sure your vehicle is safe to drive
By the time we have completed each of these 34 actions, over 200 points on your vehicle will have been checked, adjusted, lubricated or replaced. The great news is that you will know that your car is safe and that you will have done everything possible to maintain its reliability and value. Not only this, but you will recieve a comprehensive invoice for your history file, an MOT or Classic Car Safety Check certificate and a health check, signed by your classic car engineer. This will show perspective buyers just how seriously you took maintaining your vehicle.
The cost? Well that is the best news. We offer a fixed price for 4, 6, 8 and 12 cylinder vehicle.
4 – Cylinder vehicles – £ 695.00 + VAT
6/8 – Cylinder vehicles – £845.00 + VAT
12 – Cylinder vehicles – £995.00 + VAT
To take advantage of this amazing offer, you simply need to leave us your details below. We will be in touch within the next 24 hours to book your car in